Record Label Deal – Are You Ready?
Like basketball players you can find good talent in any city and on virtually every street corner. The reality is that only a select few make it to the big times of riches and renown. The NBA dream for many has been transformed into the Hip Hop illusion. But if you think you’re ready and have the skills to make it big, and then make sure you are ready to do business. Record labels are in the business to make money, so you need to have your eyes wide open. Here are some quick systems checks to put you in position to sign that big deal.
Have the right tools:
- Good music (talent and experience)
- Look signable (look like you can make the label money, local buzz)
- Professional looking demo package (CD, Bio, photos, press clippings)
- Will your music sell?
Locate A&R Representatives:
- Try to contact directly
- Ask clubs, radio stations, other artists, make connections
- Showcases (perform often)
Get an A&R Representative to listen:
- They are accepting unsolicited demo submissions
- They are interested in your style of music
- You have the correct name/address to send the package attention to
Know what to do when you get an offer:
- Get a good entertainment lawyer
- Know what you want out of the deal (do some homework)
- Know where you want you career to go
- Ask questions
This is just a brief list of the efforts that an artist that wants to be signed should be doing. Sometimes luck is being prepared for an opportunity. Good talent and work ethics can take you far. Look for other articles, comments and interviews http://www.NottHeads.com.
Renaissance and Revolution are both about changes for the masses, based upon an education of history to make a new art forms and societal influences. To be educated is to be armed, not as an assurance of outcome, but as a guide to work through the challenges.
Other music related articles:
- Record Deal Math
- The Sale of Crack Music Haas Been Temporarily Canceled
- Milwaukee Hip Hop on Steroids
- Music Marketing